Sunday, February 19, 2012

"Shout with joy to God."

"Shout with joy to God, all the earth! Psalm 66:1 when I was growing up I had a cousin my age and we were like sisters, especially since mine were so much younger. Shirley was the granddaughter of Grandma's sister Aunt Emma. She and her brother became wards of Aunt Emma when their mother died of heart trouble in her 20's.Aunt Emma had a large boarding house near town and Shirley and I would ride the bus to visit quite often. When she came to see me, she always brought a quart of water (we had well water and she did not like it) and her overnight bag then Grandpa would take her back going to work on Monday morning. I would go there and we would explore streets near town. Later I even rode my bike there-about a 10 mile round trip.We always had such fun together. She is the cousin with whom I spent the week at Aunt Clara's when we were 16 and we met our future husbands. but that came much later.
When she was with me, we were country-kids. When I was with her we were city kids. We played hop-scotch on the side walk, walked to her school and played ball, and just had more fun that anything. She and her brother, Wilson also went to Aunt Clara's a lot.;everyone felt sorry for them because they were "orphans". Wilson died young , do not know what and Shirley died about 60 of heart trouble. She married John's friend Jack and they had 2 children.We spent lots of fun times together over the years. John and Jack stayed best friends until Jack died about 5 years ago.

1 comment:

  1. Barbara Johnson-ClarkFebruary 20, 2012 at 1:36 AM

    Dear Bev, You are a living history lesson! The detail of the stories you relate is just incredible. You and I grew up in almost the same place, only a mile or two separates your old home place and where my mom's place of business was. You and I are separated by I think twelve years. Remember I am exactly the same age as your baby sister. Yet the area was vastly different by the time I skated and hula hooped on those sidewalks. It is such fun seeing the vivid history of the area that you illustrate so beautifully. I so hope you had a better day today. I want so badly for you to feel pretty good going into this new chemo.
    Praying still,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete