Saturday, March 10, 2012

"I will sing to the Lord all my life;..."

I had the Doppler on my legs yesterday and the girl who did it could not tell me anything but she said "I don't think you have to worry..." in other words, there were no blood clots..for which I am thankful. The swelling is down some today, so maybe it will get better each day...as we Pray it away!!!

When Grandma and Grandpa moved to their country house in the depression, she did their laundry on a wash board, on the porch...sheets, his shirts, everything, to save money and then she bought chickens and sold eggs for years. When we wanted chicken to eat, she would wring that neck in a minute! Every morning she would get up and make Grandpa homemade biscuits, then when he went to work, she would do her morning chores, washing, work in the vegetable garden, or mow the back yard with a push mower..the old kind. She did this until she was about 90...as well as keeping boarders after Grandpa died. Then about 10 or 11 she would come in take her bath and PUT ON HER CORSET! This was like a ritual, with her lying on the bed, and lacing it up tightly, then dressing for the day, and she was ready to do whatever! We grandchildren were in awe of "the corset". Every few years a lady would come to the house, measure her and make her a new one. Grandma's afternoons comprised of hand sewing on the porch (in the good weather) or in the house, calling Grandpa about 2:00 to ask what he wanted for supper, and always taking a short afternoon nap. She always said if she "could just lose consciousness for about 5 minutes, she was rested!" I never saw her "stressed" or really unhappy even though she had plenty of heartbreaks in her life. She always sang church hymns as she cleaned or went about the day.
"I will sing praise to my God as long as I live. May my meditation be pleasing unto Him, as I rejoice in the Lord." Psalm 104:33-34

No comments:

Post a Comment