Monday, March 28, 2011

"He cares for those who trust in Him..."

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble." Psalm 46:1
"The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in Him... Nahum 1:7

I have never before found these two verses that are so similar, two of many verses that tell us God cares.

My friend Gene, is doing better with this chemo, but you know, none of it is easy. We have been friends for 20 years. Another friend, Bev who lives in Tennessee, has a recurrence of cancer. We have never met but write to each other. Then there is Sara, who has two little boys, then Kathryn who is also fighting this sudden onset disease. The longer I am in this, the more people who become friends and we share this battle.

When John and I were on this cruise, we took a ferry over to St. John, from St. Thomas. There on Caneel Bay, is a hotel and the water is so aqua, it does not look real. This area of the island was an old sugar mill, about 200 years ago. The island is covered with flowers, wild donkeys and deer. The old buildings (ruins) are everywhere, so picturesque. Everything is a riot of colors, with the blue skies, red and scarlet flowering trees, and the aqua ocean.

My friend Cathy Messecar wrote the devotional book that has just been published. It is "A Still Quiet Soul--embracing contentment" . Knowing God cares and that alone should bring contentment and also being free from this cancer would bring the ultimate contentment. I will get to see her when she speaks at Pepperdine University later this year. God is good and He brings us together and gives us friends who help us in life struggles.

1 comment:

  1. Barbara Johnson-ClarkMarch 28, 2011 at 10:34 PM

    Well Bev, you are friends with Sara, too! I don't know Sara, but I know her like tens of thousands of others have come to know Sara. She is spreading the word of Jesus, the Good News, the promise of an eternal home in a way like no other person I've ever known. And today's news...Alan and I were sitting reading her CaringBridge journal at the same time with tears of JOY rolling down our cheeks. When I saw GOOD NEWS!!! GOOD NEWS!!! my heart was beating so fast I thought it would leap from my chest. Wow! God is so AWESOME. And He has filled Sara with so much spirit and peace and contentment that there is no room for cancer!!! Do you believe it? Sadly I later learned of a young middle age gal whose husband is a VP with Dollar General. They have middle school children. She has been diagnosed with the same brain tumor type that Ted Kennedy had. She has been given 16 months to live. Please pray for her and her family. Just last week they were flying to Disney to enjoy a vacation; this week she is dying. Much like it has gone with Terri. Cancer is connecting people who never heard of each other, and in the case of Sara, it is giving some a forum from which to speak to hundreds of thousands about Jesus. And maybe, just maybe, it is making prayer warriors of people who never prayed before. I hope so.

    The cruise sounded like some place in heaven. I'm sure it looks just like that. Did you have your sketch pad out capturing every detail to paint when you returned home? Photos? I MUST have a photo of that island...please!

    Love you sweet sister,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete