Sunday, March 27, 2011

"...I'm not afraid when you walk by my side..."

John's grandfather was a paint contractor--this was about 1900-1940 era and he did large jobs like major commercial buildings, large bridges, museum type homes. He even mixed up his own paint for jobs, to be sure it was pure paint.

My grandfather owned a paint business, with his brothers, from about 1911-1950 when my parents and uncle took it over, then later sold it about 1980. That was a real coincidence that our grandfathers knew each other.

John's grandfather was the one who had the big house and about 20 acres or more and gave each of his children an acre or two up and down the road so that all the family lived close. He had a rock wall built up the front of all the homes. When John and I built our "dream home" in 1980 we had some of that rock moved and built a wall there from the family "rocks". He also planted iris in front of that wall for about a half mile up the road.

I have rambling thoughts about family and how there is no one with answers about the older family. When you are the oldest left in your family there is no one left to "ask"! John is the only first cousin left in his generation on his Dad's side of the family. On his Mother's side, he has four cousins, but he is the oldest one left. I am the oldest one on both sides of my family...I think of more things I wish I had some one to ask about.

Another friend may have a tumor and is having an MRI this week. I am still feeling so normal and dread finding out what the PET will show in two weeks. My nails are nearly gone, and just have the beginnings of nails at the base of each one. I did not swim when we were at two beaches on the cruise. I just could not take my wig off and show my bald head! But the water sure did look inviting!

"God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing. You have bedded me down in lush meadows, you find me quiet pools to drink from. ..even when the way goes through Death Valley, I am not afraid when you walk by my side..." The Message, Psalm 23: part of verses 1-2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment