Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"Be joyful always..."

"...pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thess. 5:16-18

This has always been a very difficult passage, to be joyful and thankful for EVERYTHING? I believe we have to be joyful that God is watching over us and is in control of our lives ,thanking Him for that and this allows us to, in that regard, become thankful for not so good situations.

Growing up, I have told about the creek that ran all though Grandma and Grandpa's land and through ours also. This was mostly a wet weather creek but had some "deep" places which held water when it did not rain. I called one of these "the swimming hole"...it was about 2 feet deep but I could float in it. No telling what creatures were in it but I loved that place and spent many a summer day in that creek. There were willow trees and I could make bows and arrows out of those and play "Indian". When it rained a lot, trash and mud would come down the creek from upper land. I was not supposed to get in then when it was running fast. Well of course I did and there was a broken jar that cut my foot and I did not tell. After about a week, I had a pone on the side of my foot about half an egg size and I HAD to tell. Our Doctor came out to the house then and he lanced my foot, and gave me some medicine and said I was nearly into lockjaw! I was more careful after that to obey!

We always loved to play in creeks. There was one up the ridge from us that was just a country creek and Daddy would take us there to play in the water. He loved to do that also. Once when I was a teenager and had a bunch of girls spending the night, he took us up there and shined the car lights on the water and we played and swam in that creek in the dark. It was more fun! I wonder how many snakes we displaced that night!

This is the second day without the chemo and so far, I am still swollen and broken out. I sure am praying for this all to subside and be back to normal! And I am joyful to be off chemo for 2 weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Barbara Johnson-ClarkJanuary 27, 2011 at 10:56 AM

    Bev,
    I prayed and prayed and prayed for a six inch snow as a present to you. I was so positive night before last that prayers were going to get you that snow that night. And if our temperatures had cooperated and dropped quickly enough, you would have had your wished for six inch snow! Well, there is still nearly half the winter left, and forecasters are saying that it's that one year out of 15 that we have a snowy winter. Prayers are answered, but not always on our timetable. Why can't I learn that for all things! I know the snow will come, and I know the cure will come, and as bad as the situation is now, that's how good it's going to get. You are my hero, and you have a support system out here that will pray until it happens.
    Love you both so much,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete