Thursday, January 27, 2011

" The Lord is my light..."

Several friends asked me to send my Jam Cake recipe again...this was Daddy's mother's recupe and I have in the last few years kind of changed it and joined it in to a jam cake in the Nashville Cookbook. They are almost the same, with a few minor changes. So here it is again......rmember you need to make it in November and let it sit and "soak" with a wine soaked cloth around it in a "lard stand" for a month before you ice it with caramel icing.

1/2 cup shortning or butter
2 cups sugar
4 cups flour (mix 3 cups into mixture and dredge raisins & nuts with the other cup)
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups blackberry jam (I use the seedless)
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup watermelon rind preserves OR 1/2 cup pear preserves
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
6 eggs
2 tsp soda (sifted with flour)
1 tsp salt
1 rounded tsp cinnamon, 1 rounded tsp cloves, 1 rounded tsp allspice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
Mix as usual but the egg whites are beaten and folded in at the last before putting the mixture into the pans.
This makes 3 (9 inch) layers....350 until done
Caramel Buttermilk Icing
2 cups white sugar, 1 cup buttermilk, 1 tsp soda, 1/2 cup butter
Cook until forms a soft ball then add 1 tsp vanilla and beat until nearly ready, then pour over cake... it will harden more later.
This cake brings back so many memories, and after Mama could no longer make her cakes, she always wanted me to make them a small jam cake.

This chemo is lingering really bad! I shall have to call tomorrow and see what I do next! My feet and legs and hands are still so swollen! I know I will not go back on it! No more wondering!

"The Lord is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear?" Psalm 27:1

No comments:

Post a Comment