Monday, May 16, 2011

"This is the confidence we have in approaching God..".

I John 5:14, "This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us..." I realize the key to this verse is in the "according to His will" and so much we seem to think anything goes...just ask! When we were at Pepperdine, we heard a very well known preacher who said that "no one lives without receiving something good given from God, even evil people. Anyone who lives receives pleasure from God and His gifts, even bad things evil people do. What a gracious God we have who gives good things to everyone, even those who reject Him.

Have you even thanked God for fingernails? Neither had I! You never would believe what you cannot do without them: Pick up pins, coins, specks of something on the floor, get an eyelash off your eye lid, fasten buttons, separate pages in a magazine, undo coke cans, food cans with flip tops, after opening tin cans, lifting the lid. When I sew, I cannot catch the bobbin from the bobbin holder and have to use my one remaining nail on my left pinkie. You cannot fasten earrings, bracelets and necklaces without the nails. I know there are more I realize each day, but these are just a few.

Here are two funny stories from "just living"...years ago we came to put stuff in the garbage can and there was a dead possum lying in it. We could not believe he got in there and died and went to get a shovel to bury him. When we came back he was gone! He had just been "playing possum"! A little sparrow at our daughter's home was outside our sewing window and we loved to watch him build his nest each year in a bird house. This time, he came back one day with a large twig which after trying several times we knew obviously it would not go through the opening. He sat there on the post of the bird house and you could just "see the wheels turning". This sparrow turned his head to sideways and put that twig through that way. We could not believe that tiny bird could reason that out! How amazing!

Today was the first day I have felt better so maybe I will get over this whatever I had. John was coughing tonight and I said "OH, NO!please don't get sick..." We hope and pray we won't. Blessings...

1 comment:

  1. Barbara Johnson-ClarkMay 17, 2011 at 9:41 PM

    Dear Bev,
    I so hope you are feeling better and have shaken that cold/flu/pneumonia/or whatever. I hated that you had to miss the senior recognition (no, not senior citizens in case anyone is thinking that!), the program for graduating seniors at church on Sunday. I know John told you how lovely it was, and Megan is looking forward to getting weekly emails and notes from you when she goes off to college this fall. What an influence you have had in the lives of my children. Don't you wish all older people understood the connection and influence they can have with our younger generation? I know your family has this strong connection, but so many children barely know older relatives, and they don't connect to older outsiders at all. What a rich resource these young people are missing! Have a good day tomorrow.
    Love you,
    The Clarks

    ReplyDelete