Monday, May 2, 2011

"When I was desperate, I called out..."

One of my recent blogs, I talked about downtown NASHVILLE when I was a young girl and a friend continued with her remembrances of being "up town"...she recalled the Arcade, a lovely iron ceiling area cutting through between two major streets (5th avenue and 4th avenue)that used to be the main area of Nashville. The iron was French and the largest standing arcade at this time , early 1900's, designed by Italians. A friend of mine's aunt had a button shop in the upstairs. It seemed so unique. When you walked down thru the arcade, a man dressed like a large peanut would hand out teaspoons of peanuts to passersby. (He worked for Planter's Peanuts)

At the 5&10 store, I think it was Kresge(?) which we called Kresses, you could buy anything. I loved to go there and get paper dolls. I had some of the most beautiful paper dolls--each one was a baby and had wonderful baby clothes. When I had Scarlet fever and played with those, they had to be burned up when I got well! I cried!! While I was sick my great aunt sent me some things that had been her daughter's (who died early at age 22). They were about 6-8 pearl buttons, some ribbons, a china head doll, and I cannot remember what else. I still have the buttons and the doll. I know now what a sadness for her to send me these few things she had saved from her daughter!

Psalm 34: 6-7 says "when I was desperate, I called out, and God got me out of a tight spot. God's angels set up a circle of protection around us while we prayed." THE MESSAGE... Sunday we sang the song, "We are standing on holy ground, and I know that there are angels all around...Let us praise Jesus now..." I honestly can feel arms around me when we sing this song!!!!

We are going to be doing family things for a few days, but I will be back with exciting things to talk about...take care...

No comments:

Post a Comment