Tuesday, June 28, 2011

"..do not fear; I will help you..."

Isaiah 41:13..."For I am the Lord, your God,who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you". and a friend sent me this verse in her email, Isaiah 41:10 "so do not fear, I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Can you remember how comforting it is/was to have your Dad hold your hand and how safe it made you feel? One thing I miss with parents being gone, is the feel of their holding my hand!

I have told about Grandma and Grandpa that I grew up next to but not how they met. She lost her parents at an early age and lived with an aunt until she could work. Grandma became the first telephone operator in Franklin, KY when she was about 20 years old. She said she was so conscious of being "an orphan" and wanting to uphold her reputation, she would not go out with anyone. She was very poor and had two blouses (I suppose the Gibson Girl kind--this was early 1900's) and she washed one each night and wore the other one that day. She had one skirt and maintained a frugal lifestyle. Grandpa was a "traveling salesman" for a paint company and he saw her and asked her to go out with him. He drove a horse and buggy. She would not at first but finally did and they "dated" for four years. He finally told her they either married or he was not asking her again. She finally said yes. They married in 1910 I think. After they married they moved to Nashville and he opened his paint company I have told about, and my mother was their first child.

Oh the wonderful memories of grandparents and parents to be a comfort. Someone said "as long as one is living who knew these past generations, makes these past ones still alive!" They certainly held my hands, but I still have God to hold me and comfort me. I cry so easily these days, but God will keep me and give me strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment