Thursday, June 30, 2011

"Fear not, for I have redeemed you..."

I cannot decide if I really have no pain anymore, because the one first new chemo is so wonderful...OR I am taking the time-release pill to get rid of pain. I am sure it is the pill!Anyway, I really do not like taking medicine. I avoid it as much as possible, which many times I just have to do it. Well I am very thankful for the absence of pain on a daily basis!

I remembered a quilt we have that an elderly lady made us many years ago (she was probably about my age then...:-) She took scraps of fabric from my Mother in law, and my daughter and mine, scraps of dresses, table cloths, household fabrics, and when I look at this quilt I can remember each of us wearing a particular dress or skirt. Something not made to be special , just a four-patch quilt, but it is very special for memories.

I talked about Grandma and Grandpa being married in 1910, and I have a picture of each of them on that day. Wonder why they did not have a picture taken together? He is facing the camera, wearing a handsome suit, a white shirt and a dark bow tie. His hair was dark and parted down the middle. I can see many features of various family members who look like him, (maybe the shape of an eyebrow, an expression from his eyes...) Like John says, I love to look for family traits in each child, or family member.

Grandma was facing the side with a profile view. She did not have curly hair and so she wore fake curls tucked under her bonnet and hanging out the side. I still have these curls! She had a dress maybe silk, or pongee, with cutout neck and a sheer fabric set in this neck. There is a velvet ribbon high around her neck and she is wearing a gold cross. I never saw her wear a cross...wonder what happened to it. She told my sister that her hat was periwinkle blue, with red cherries to one side, then the curls hanging out the side. I wonder if she loved him. She waited four years to marry him, so maybe she was not sure. But as I have said, he told her every day of their lives that she was the most beautiful woman in the world! What is not to love!

Isaiah 43:1 continues, "I have summoned you by name; you are mine." How marvelous to belong to our Father, our God who knows us by name!

1 comment:

  1. Barbara Johnson-ClarkJuly 1, 2011 at 12:00 AM

    Dear Bev,
    I am so happy to see some of the "old Bev" shining through in this post! Happy you are feeling less or no pain, and happy that you are feeling optimistic about your new chemo option. Like I say every time, this could be it. This could be the one that knocks out your cancer and sets the medical world on its ear! Only God knows right now, and we will trust in Him to give us the best He can give. But we will BEG of Him to give us a lot more years with Bev and John at her side. We love you both so dearly.

    I hope you have a happy July 4th full of fun, good food, music, family, and FREEDOM from pain!

    love and hugs,
    Barbara and Alan

    ReplyDelete