Wednesday, June 2, 2010

"Offer hospitality ..."

I Peter 4:9 just a little short verse...."Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling."...Another day of throwing away boxes...getting things in order, finding things I forgot I had. The sale is tomorrow at our old house--things we could not keep--I have reconciled myself to this, and realizing we have plenty to use and keep house with in our smaller manner.
As I was putting things away, I came across some old cookbooks that I have "carted" from house to house, and cannot part with. I have an old "composition tablet" that was Mama's, with newspaper recipes and written notations of things to cook, recipes from friends, etc..On one page, December 25, 1938, she wrote "I cooked my ham 4 1/2 hours", and on another page if the recipe for pecan pie (that came from Mama's best friend's mother (who was Grandma's best friend)...This is the pecan pie I always bake and recently put it in our church cookbook. I think it is the best pecan pie ever, and I think the secret is the dark Karo.
Pecan Pie...make a 9 " crust. Mix together, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup dark Karo, 1/2 cup butter, 1 round tablespoon flour...pour into crust, sprinkle pecans all over. Bake 350 35-40 minutes or until center is firm.
One of the greatest pleasures in life, to Mama, was to entertain. All the names in here of recipes is going back in memory---cousins, aunts, friends of the family, all gone but leaving this family legacy of good food!
This has been a good day, feeling almost normal. (I love these
"off" weeks!) I sewed, cleared out, arranged stuff, almost organized!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment