Tuesday, January 26, 2010

More night ramblings

In my 4 am ramblings, (will I EVER get off these steroids and sleep again?????)I got to thinking about old times in the creeks. I may have written about the creeks my friends and I played in along and under neath Gallatin road. In fact, where Briley Parkway and a Home Depot is today was our best "swimming hole" and favorite bluff to climb. There was a wonderful spring house which we lay on our stomachs and drank and the water cress made great sandwiches. There was another slate covered farm building---one day we kids decided to pull off the slate roof...wow, did we get in trouble! It of course had to be replaces immediately (luckily we did not remove much slates).
The 200 year old house called "Evergreen" was there and it was my joy growing up to play in that home and grounds, tall trees, horse block, barns, and the creeks. If you walked across the creek and up the other side, where K Mart is today, there once was the remains of a small shack, which Rev. Thomas Craighead started a small school in the 1700's. Later he moved his school over to where the Springhil Cemetery is now, then to Nashville, building and growing into what became Peabody College and being part of today, Vanderbuild
University.When I was about 10 or so I went to the old house that was built back in the fields along that creek and it was called the Walton Place". Our little street was called appropriately Walton Lane.
Besides the Springhill Cemetery across from where the Walton Place used to be is the National Cemetery. There is a train track thru the middle of the cemetery--a great place, growing up to walk the track, watch for trains, wonderful rock walls around the cemetery about 3-6 feet high to ride bikes on (until Mama caught me one day!!!oops!!!)
So my nightly ramblings bring out all kinds of memories--forgive me if I already told any of this story!
Our grandaughter-in-law had her grandmother to pass away and the funeral was today. There were at least 50-60 children, cousins, grandchildren, great grandchildren to honor her memory. What a wonderful service. A bonus for us--we got to see and be with our grandson, that grandaughter and the babies for a brief time--and see the newest great for the first time. So this was a good, bittersweet day--sad for this family loss, joy to see our babies.
I have felt good today--wow, is God so good to heal me, and give me more days on top of joyous days!Glory to God in the highest!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for coming to the funeral; it meant a lot to Matt and me. And I'm so glad you got to meet the baby (even if not under the preferred circumstances). I think that's been the hardest part of losing my Mema is that she never got to meet the baby.

    You looked well on Tuesday; I'm glad you felt good, too.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete