Sunday, September 19, 2010

[God] "who comforts us..."

This was a busy Sunday, starting with our Great coming for breakfast as she does when staying here with her grandmother. She was questioning me about my mother and how old she would be if alive, then about other relatives . The concept to a child about those who lived a long time then died is difficult for them to grasp. She asked if my mother would have been her great-great? That was correct, so I think she has it! This afternoon she wanted to go to our art show and she really did enjoy seeing the art demonstrations, and all the oil paintings in tents all around the lawn. We were sitting around yesterday and I showed her how old timey people used a nut cracker, and picked the nut meats out of the shell. We cracked some walnuts and she thought that was great fun. (not so fun if you have to do it, I am sure)

A friend gave me her great grandmother's pound cake recipe and it has become our family's very FAVORITE and most asked-for recipe for a long time now. It is called a Buttermilk Pound Cake
3 cups sugar, 1 stick butter, 1/2 cup Crisco...combine these three and beat. Then add and beat in 5 eggs, one at a time. Alternately add 3 cups flour and 1 cup buttermilk, ending with the flour. Add 1/2 tsp soda dissolved in 1 Tbsp boiling water. Add 1 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp almond flavoring. Grease and flour a tube pan and pour the cake mixture in. Bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes and 325 degrees for 30 minutes (total of 1 hour, 15 minutes or a little less if cake is done before that time). Cool cake for about 20 minutes and carefully slip it out upside down (bundt cake) and let cool.
We use Buttermilk Caramel Icing, which is cooked but you can make a confectioners sugar icing for easier one.
Our Buttermilk Icing
2 cups white sugar, 1 cup buttermilk, 1 tsp. soda, 1 stick butter...Cook in a large heavy pan until a teaspoon poured in ice water reaches a soft Ball, cool and add 1 tsp vanilla and beat until starts to get a little hard then put on top and sides of cake. don't let it get too hard as it hardens when it cools.
Even if it does not get hard pour it in the center of cake and use it as sauce. Everyone will fight over it!
Well I am ignoring the "elephant in the corner" again. I guess Tuesday is chemo day again. I sure have enjoyed being normal for two months!
[God] who comforts us in all our troubles, so we can comfort those in any trouble..."II Cor. 1:4 A friend of a friend called me this week and wanted to talk about her finding out she has cancer, and what could I tell her. God does allow us to share our experiences and hopefully comfort others. I pray I can help someone!

No comments:

Post a Comment