Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"A spirit of power..."

II Timothy 1:7 "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline..." I gather strength from this verse, no matter what I am talking about on this blog. I finally got around today to read all the side effects to the new chemo, all the terrible things that can happen to me, the assurance that this combination of drugs has never been tried on humans before! So I am shaking as I read this and think, Can I really do this???Then I see this verse that says God gives us power and I know whatever He brings to me to take, I can do it, OR He will give me another chemo to take its place. I was talking to a friend who is now cancer free and he was telling how this experimental is what is giving some like him the ability to beat this cancer, if not forever, at least for a while. This is my dream! My hope! My prayer!

I was going through some of my saved "papers" and found our high school "Student Handbook" given me when I started high school at Litton High, one of the best high schools ever. We had teachers who really cared if we succeeded, and a principal who knew all our names, even years later upon seeing him, he would call me by name. He died of Parkinson's Disease and I went to see him a few times after he was bed ridden, and he never lost his zest for life. This handbook tells all the teachers names and tells about some, like our band leader, Sammy Swor, who not only taught band but played in the Nashville Symphony. We had a nationally famous band because of his leadership. Back then the worst thing a student did was chew gum, talk in class, bring cigarettes to school. Of course a few did worse but they were quietly sent elsewhere. We respected our teachers and did as told (most of the time). We all have stories to tell....oh well, we all know "where the bodies are buried". We had fun and most of the time were model citizens, and got a great education.
As we matured we developed more self discipline . Now we are the older generation and all of my friends depend upon God's love and power to guide them.

1 comment:

  1. Dear, dear Bev,
    How very normal and totally human it is for you to feel frightened of the unknown and scared when you read the warnings and possible side effects of what amounts to a chemical cocktail, but how deeply spiritual and faithful you are to be assuring all of us that God will give you the power and the strength to do what you have to do to rid yourself of cancer and to take back your life. And of course, He will. I read another verse a while ago as I was searching for strength for myself, and I thought about you and the chemo. "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior." (Isaiah 43:1b-3a) Bev, you will not be burned or consumed by this experimental. You will be cured and freed of cancer, and God will have the glory! Thank you once again for saying the words that I needed to be uplifted. Because of you the burden of my day is lighter. Give John a bear hug from me, and remember that this family is praying for you daily and nightly.
    Much love,
    Barbara and Alan

    ReplyDelete