Saturday, September 11, 2010

"..parents are the pride of their children..."

I went through another box in our storage and found things I did not know I had. Among these "found" items were drawings Daddy did while he was in the army. He was always sketching whatever he saw. Daddy was a poet, a writer, a painter, none of which were anything famous, but he was very talented and artistic. One of these was a colored pencil drawing showed "view east from camp at Marseilles, France". Another was a view of mountains and fields of vegetables marked "south". One of a river with a lovely bridge,is labeled "Pont du La Concorde...23 March 1945" he drew lots of Parisian buildings (which are always so lovely and so picturesque). There is a "Belgium Home, March 29, 1945" and a really intricate drawing of a gargoyle from a Paris building.

There are several more harbors, a view of a "rainy day of 20G" (drawing of guys in their tent) and my very favorite! It is a pencil drawing of a "French Cart" sitting outside a barn (kind of a two wheeled cart) and a rooster scratching beside this.
I have lots more things from him, the V mail that lots of times contained drawings or "cartoons" he would send me. I was 9 when he left and 11 when he came home.

Proverbs 17:6 says "Children's children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children." We are blest to have these "children's children" and John and I both also had parents in whom we took pride for their character and their honesty and the way they maintained themselves.

John did good today, not feeling the best but still weak. I am sure tomorrow will be a better stronger day.

No comments:

Post a Comment