Sunday, July 3, 2011

"... God has given us eternal life..."

I John 5:11-12.."...this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life."

I am tired of saying I am fine when I am not. But no one really wants to hear a litany of problems, so I usually just say I am fine. I am nauseous, not in pain because of the morphine time capsules, but they make me so dopey! Is there no winning for losing?

I was thinking of Grandma's sisters. She also had three brothers but they were , along with a sister who died at age 20, the oldest four of the 11 children in their family. So that left the seven we always called "the sisters". What a bunch. None of them every drove a car. They got together a lot with either a daughter (or like my mother) driving many of them to another house, for their famous bowl dinners. Sometimes a husband would drive some of them. One time, two of the sisters and their husbands drove to Florida and back. They did not have much money (this was in the 50's) and they slept in the car at night at a road side park, then cooked breakfast at one of those stone tables and benches that used to be at those parks. They had a little one burner gas stove, and they really knew how to "rough it".

Several of the sisters' husbands were farmers, nothing big, but subsistance farming. tow were handy men, built a little and one was a railroad man. They all by today's standards were poverty level, but they always had good food, always dressed nicely, always had lots of love and fun in their lives. They were all christians,they belonged to several churches and could always get into big discussions ! They were such fun! Such love and all knew they would see each other "on the other side".

1 comment:

  1. Barbara Johnson-ClarkJuly 4, 2011 at 12:13 AM

    Dear Bev,
    I was so thankful to see you were able to make it to worship service this morning. I did not realize you had been put on morphine, and that's why you had been in so much less pain. I was so hoping the chemo was already giving such good results. I am the eternal optimist, aren't I? But optimism is closely akin to faith, and I'm FULL of faith that you will have some better times. We are all going to be on that "other side" like your Grandma's sisters you mentioned, but I believe God has some more time for you here on this side with us. I'm NOT turning loose of that belief till I have no other choice. We are all praying, praying, praying. My kiddos are covering you with prayer everyday. Now on a silly note, I told Alan tonight that I'm never praying to be thin! I'm taking your advice on that one!
    Much love and wishes for better days ahead,
    Barbara Alan

    ReplyDelete