Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Message says "Get out of bed and get dressed!"

And on, "Don't loiter and linger, waiting until the very last minute. Dress yourself in Christ and be up and about!" Romans 13:14...that speaks well if one was inclined to be lazy! This week I guess it spoke to me as I stayed in bed one day most all day. Yesterday and today were more productive days. I sewed quite a bit and cooked and acted rather nice to John. I know he gets so tired of my being "snippy" (is that a word?) but some days I just cannot help myself.

Several friends comment on my cornbread and say it is so good and how do I make it? I have several old pans that are wonderful. One was my great grandmothers in Kentucky. It is a cast iron corn stick pan. I have three rectangle pans that are "steel" or metal. They are about 6x8 inches.
They were John's Mother's and are black from about 100 years of use. These are my favorites. I use self rising white corn meal and this is a general recipe that can be made into more or less.
1 cup self rising white corn meal
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg beaten
3 TSP Crisco or liquid oil
Beat the meal, milk and egg. Heat the pan with the oil or Crisco in 450 oven until the pan is good and hot (watch it!) If a bit of water on the pan "hisses" then it is hot enough. Pour the grease into the cornbread mix and stir it, then pour all back into the hot pan. Bake, 450 for 20 minutes. turn it out onto a board and cut into squares.

One cup of meal would make about 12 corn sticks.

It has been a week since chemo and this has been a tough week. Besides the nausea, pain, weight loss, sleeping problems, I have bruises and cuts all over my arms. If I hit any thing, it opens my skin. It is so tender! I look like I have been in a dog fight.Well God says to get out of bed! Get dressed! In other words, not being lazy. I certainly hope next week will be an improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment