Monday, February 22, 2010

Wisdom and "sayings:

While John was in the hospital last week, I stayed with my sister and we thought of some local "sayings" that friends and family from other parts of the country find strange and funny. The Bible is full of "sayings" as in Proverbs and Psalms. Did you ever hear (especially an older person) someone say.."well I allow!", meaning "I never heard of such!"...then an old country saying is "he was battin' his eyes like a frog in a hailstorm"...which is self explanatory.
We often say we are "fixin' to go somewhere or do something" which especially northerners cannot understand what that means! We always speak of having "bowl dinners" which I think other parts of the country call "pot luck"...we just say, "come and bring a bowl"...
Usually the bowl dinners are accompanied with "Yall come and see us".
Something that is especially nice is called "finer than a gnat's hair" which is pretty fine! John's Dad, coming from an agricultural background always judged land by its growth possibilities and he would look at poor land and say "that land wouldn't grow buck bushes!"
Did anyone ever tell you "I will carry you over yonder"??? I have heard someone say "carry??you mean pick up??" not understanding the local meaning. We used to (and still do) say "hosepipe" instead of garden hose..Why? that is what Grandpa called it. A 'saying" from the Bible is:
Proverbs 27:19 says "As water reflects a face, so a man's heart reflects the man."
I feel very well after a few rough days after the first radiation, so I kind of hate to go through the second one; but I am sure it will be worth it!
Yall come to see us, now! (and bring a bowl)...

No comments:

Post a Comment