Sunday, December 5, 2010

"For to us a child is born..."

"to us a son is given, and the government will be on His shoulders. And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace,...." Isaiah 9:6

As I was getting in bed last night, I just started crying...there I was with really sore hands, salve and gloves on them, bald (of course), with this colostomy, and I really did lose my optimism for a few minutes. I rarely do that but it all hit me last night. Today has been better. I just rethink and realize that God is holding me in His hands and I will do as He wills. I do pray this chemo is working.

Since this is the baking season, this is the recipe for Mama B's Jam cake that we made every year, all my life. It had to be done about a month ahead and stored in a lard stand. Does anyone remember or know what a "lard stand" is? You would buy one at a hardware store. I assume they were used to store lard which you would render off the hogs when you killed them. No one needs that anymore!!! Anyway, then the family tradition was to soak a towel in wine and lay this around the jam cake for this month to make sure it was moist. You must know this is in a teetotaler family all year except for this cake (or the boiled custard).
so here is the cake:
1/2 cup Crisco, 2 cups sugar, 4 cups flour, sifted with 2 tsp soda, 1 tsp salt, 1 cup buttermilk, 2 cups blackberry jam, 1 cup raisins1/2 cup watermelon rind preserves, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 6 eggs, 1 round tsp cinnamon, 1 round tsp cloves, 1 round tsp allspice, 1/2 tsp nutmeg.............Cream Crisco and sugar, add egg yolks, jam,salt and spices. Mix well, add buttermilk ,stir in flour (leave about 1/2 cup to dredge the raisins, nuts and watermelon preserves)...Add all of these, then fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Pour into three 9 inch greased pans. bake 325 degrees for about an hour or until done when tested with a "tester" or broom straw. Let it rest upside down until it will drop out of pan. When you put icing on it, do a caramel icing. That will come later.
Usually all the cakes would be in lard stands on the back porch, and going out in the crispy cold to bring in these wonderful cakes really brings back memories!
Merry Christmas, look for this glorious Child!

1 comment:

  1. Barbara Johnson-ClarkDecember 6, 2010 at 9:34 PM

    Oh my dear Bev! You only break down like that once in a while! You are the strongest hero in my life...EVER. You have taken a life of pain and suffering, emotional when it's not physical, the past few years and turned it into graciousness, patience, endurance and most of all a faith that the rest of us only hope to hold a candle to. Yes, you are my hero. Please know that when you need to cry, that is when God is carrying you like in "Footsteps in the Sand". We love you and pray for you every single day. I have Jim and you at the top of my prayer list each and every night. And YES, that chemo IS WORKING!!!
    Love,
    Barbara and Alan

    ReplyDelete