Friday, April 15, 2011

"...The Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you ..."

"...all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you..." John 14:26-27 as Jesus reminded us of whom would be here for us when He (Jesus) was no longer here. We do not have to be alone, but have this part of God to pray for us, to speak for us when we are so downtrodden and sorrowing we cannot pray or speak. In the past, many times when the CT was not good, or the chemo was doing all the bad things, I have been speechless, numb and could not say anything but "God" and He took over and carried my burden. I am so thankful!

As my hair is growing back (way too slowly!) I remembered how much I hated my straight hair as I grew up. I usually had braids, way down my back. Mama would have pretty plaid ribbon on the braids to match whatever I was wearing. I always wished for curls. One of our greats has unbelievable curls! anyway, in high school, many of us girls would arrive at school with curlers in our hair and a scarf on our heads. We would go to the rest room and brush our hair (there was no hair spray) and hope for a good hair day! When I was about 15 home perms came on the market! I got one and had the worst frizzy, too much curl, hair but I loved having this curl. Some boy saw me in church and called for a date. Mama and Daddy would not let me go as I was not 16 yet---the age at which car dating could begin. Most "nice girls" did not car date until 16. Can you imagine? in today's society? And we did not wear earrings either. No pierced ears, it was unheard of. Another of our greats who is about 4 1/2 came to see us in February and she had long braids and she looked so pretty and cute! Bless her heart, she has no curls either. Her sister is still too young to tell if she will have curls.

The first time I EVER had a coke, in a bottle, of my own, was when I was about 11 and I went home after school with a friend and she opened the fridge, and got out two cokes. I was so "did not know what to do, scared, embarrassed, you name it" so I just copied what she did. Can you imagine that either? The first time I ever had a steak to eat was when John and I were dating and he took me to a nice restaurant and that was a treat. We always ate good, but an individual steak was not on our menu at home! Growing us, John and I at both our homes, ate meat on Sundays and maybe once or twice during the week but never every night. We ate lots of vegetables and cornbread or biscuits.

Aren't memories fun? Isn't God wonderful to give us these times to remember and have joy in? The bad things fade away and we can dwell on the fun times. This is how I think God helps take care of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment