Saturday, April 2, 2011

"Your faithfulness reaches to the skies"

This week I received an invitation to my annual high school reunion luncheon. I never go to these things, but used to go when we had just our class every five years reunion and banquet. That was so fun and nice to see our bunch. I went to the greatest high school back when they were neighborhood schools.The land for this school was old family land owned by the family for which it was named--Isaac Litton--and had a big front lawn with willow trees. We used to sit on the grass and eat lunch outside. And, seniors could sit out on the football bleachers at study hall time. The principal, Mr. Foster, knew everyone by name. He had Parkinson disease later and I went to see him--he still remembered my name. He always knew all the students. This school had the old wood floors and they were oiled/mopped every night..can you imagine what a tinder-box that place was? But it was there for nearly 50 years then torn down--too sad.

Today, John and I and our daughter went to see CATS for the third time (it has been around for 30 years) and loved it as usual. The song "Memories" is worth seeing the play. Every time I hear it sung, I can close my eyes (when she sings "the hard ,cold,smell of winter" in the middle of that song)and smell and feel I am in Grandma's attic. That is so weird. I played in that attic, even in the winter, because heat came up the stairs from the kitchen. That house had no insulation--in fact I could peep through a hole in the dining room floor and see Grandpa putting coal in the furnace in the basement.

So today I have been looking at memories in my mind. Same old-same-old with my hands and face.. not worth thinking about. There are many great memories that are worth thinking about. Also much thankfulness for God's care of us and our family each day.

In Psalm 57:9-10, "I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations; I will sing of you among the peoples. For great is your love, reaching to the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies."

No comments:

Post a Comment