Monday, February 7, 2011

"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone..."

"...my hope comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will not be shaken." Psalm 62:5-6

We have a novel written by a family member but I have not found it since we moved...that is about trains and riding them, in a wonderful novel...wish I could find it. I say some days, "I spend half my time looking for things"...and then we got rid of so much since we downsized so MUCH.

Growing up, I lived close to a train track that came through Nashville, north to south. I was always hearing the train blowing its' whistle in the middle of the night. Is there a more lonesome sound in all the world? I heard one last night and made me think of this. I used to walk the track for fun and lay my ear on the track to listen for a coming train. When seeing one with a dining car and people having a meal in that diner, seemed to be the most glamorous occasion ever to be. I always wanted to be able to do that.

When John grew up that same track ran behind their land and he also would see the dining car and wish for the same thing. His Dad worked for the trains and they did take trips all over. Can you imagine that John and I have gotten to travel and eat in dining cars all over the world! We rode the train across Canada one year and would get off in this town or that one then ride again in a few days, always getting to eat in that magical dining car! We got to ride in the car with overhead windows (Like in a movie) and look at mountains and streams going over the Rocky Mountains! Then I have told about riding the Orient Express from Paris to Vienna and eating in that dining car. It even had lace behind the seats. I got to ride the Bullet train in Japan from Tokyo to ? (don't remember where we stopped.)

So our love affair with trains continues to this day. Two years ago we went out west and went by plane, then a car then a train from Utah to Kansas.

God is so good and gives us opportunities to see much of this wonderful world. I pray we will have more opportunities in this year. God is truly my rock and my fortress... I see the oncologist tomorrow (I am a little nervous) and wonder what we can do next. I am NOT well from the chemo five weeks ago. So we are praying for something wonderful and perfect to be available!

No comments:

Post a Comment