Sunday, February 27, 2011

"...a season for every activity under heaven..."

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven; ---a time to search and a time to give up..." Ecclesiastes 3:1, 6

I went out and walked a little today and checked on our potatoes and onions we planted this week...I have a row of about 20 onions and John has a space of about 3 feet x 5 feet with potatoes in it. Like I said earlier, it beats nothing! And we do love gardening! The family who bought our house last year has bulldozed down ALL my flowerbeds!!!I just wish they had asked if we would like to take some of the plants! I think how hard I worked on those beds. I dug about 10 inches down and got all the Bermuda grass out and got several truck loads of really good soil and had all seasons of flowers...iris, tulips. peonies, roses, day lilies, lots more I cannot think of the names...but all my beds had something in bloom all year around except winter of course.

So I cannot be sad over things I have no control over. Then I thought of all the things I used to do! Besides the flower gardens we have had everywhere we ever lived, we have had vegetable gardens. When we lived in our first house from 1960-80, we raised and froze or canned enough vegetables for the year and it really helped on groceries. Our next house, the children were grown, but we still had a nice garden and lots of fruit trees--cherry, apple, peach, grape vines, blackberry bushes--and I made enough jam and jelly for a year at a time and we served this in our B&B we had during that time.

When we lived in that second house, I had a Tennessee flower garden with all native Tennessee flowers and small bushes. Researching this was lots of fun.

I thought of lots more things I no longer do, either I cannot or don't want to! More of those later. Everything physically is the same. Tuesday will see what is next.

Verse 13 of this same passage says..."[man may } find satisfaction in his toil--this is the gift of God"

No comments:

Post a Comment