Monday, November 15, 2010

A "crown to the aged..."

I think I am more tired than I was at first on this new chemo. I am experiences my face breaking out some. These are part of the list of many side effects. And of course, the food and water problem. I realize I do not drink enough but it tastes so bad---

We are going to spend Thanksgiving with one of our granddaughter's and her family. We see their three boys about three times a year and that is not enough! It will be so special to spend the day with them. One of my great desires is to have ALL our family together but that never happens--always someone cannot make it. So we see them in "pieces", but that is OK, as long as we see them.

All my life until I was about 40, we had Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners at Grandma's--I never thought it would end! All the family was there and it was so wonderful. We always had the usual, typical dinner, and always boiled custard and coconut cake (fresh--where you cut the coconut into pieces and cut off the brown outside and grate the white inside. First, you used a hammer and nail to pierce the coconut and save the "milk" and this milk was poured over the white cake to make it moist. Then the grated coconut was put over the top of the white icing ( the cooked kind). Nothing was short-cut!

The boiled custard was cooked in a double boiler, but I use the same recipe and I can make it in the microwave. For a quart of milk, mix 3/4 cup sugar, a pinch of salt, and three beaten eggs, which you "string" into warm milk, then microwave this 2 minutes at a time, stir in between each time, and when it gets a little thick, stop, add a teaspoon or two of vanilla and beat it up, cool in the refrigerator. Serve with whipped cream on top and as I told another time, our family always had a little pitcher of "vinegar" to add a little to the custard. (this vinegar was really whiskey but no one would ever say that--we always called it vinegar!)

So nothing is ever the same, but new traditions take the place of the old ones and being with these three "greats" will certainly be a wonderful new tradition! I have found this Bible verse before and love the idea--Proverbs 17:6 says "Children's children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children."

No comments:

Post a Comment