Sunday, November 28, 2010

"The earth is the Lord's..."

I have a small "workroom", nothing like as large as the other ones who work for our daughter and son in law's shop, and smaller than when I was in our house. But it is a useful work area since I mostly make pillows. When I get the fabric, usually the window treatments and bedding have already been cut out and I get sometimes small pieces and sometimes lots of scraps. I make the pillows and then have lots of small pieces that no one could make anything from...but yet? A friend belongs to a quilting and a church group that take these scraps and make "walker bags" to hang on walkers for those in nursing homes. They take pieces as small as 5x5 inches and make quilts for children's hospitals, and lap robes for those in nursing homes. Larger pieces are used to make 6-10 inch pillows for patients at a local hospital when they come back from surgery. There is a lady with Alzheimer's who does not know her name, yet she remembers how to sew. She can hand-sew the binding around the quilts. This is the most amazing concept of her being used for others, when many people would think she can do nothing. These scraps are used and re-used to benefit many.

"The earth is the Lord's and everything in it, the world and all you live in it; for He founded it upon the seas and established it upon the waters."

When I have spare time (none lately) I make tiny "quilts" anywhere from 12 inches square to 12x14 to put on preemies at a local hospital, to give then some colorful surroundings. This fabric has to be cotton and I usually find this at fabric stores remnants. I cannot imagine anyone being bored and having nothing to do, at least that is my mind set. There are never enough hours in the day.

Today included some nausea, just out of the blue! Of course, the usual hands that hurt. Maybe tomorrow will be better. I would love to eat and enjoy the food!

No comments:

Post a Comment