Friday, November 19, 2010

"...how majestic is your name..."

"O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens....when I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and all the stars, which you have set in place....." Psalm 8:1-2,3.

About 8 years ago, John and I led a care group at our church. For about four years. we chose, as a group, to have a meal and a devotional four times a year at a truck stop in a town close to us. There were about 20 of us and we took food, decorated the tables, set us everything in the truckers' lounge, then the men went around the trucks parked in the lot and invited the men (and sometimes women or families) to have a meal and share the devotional and singing with us. We might have 40 or so there and good singing and those asking for prayer, and we really had a great time in these devotionals. One of our men goes on line and on the radio and holds daily devotionals for truck drivers.

One night, a man there, really seemed to need God in his life, and more help than we could give him. He asked me when we started our devotional time, if he could have my Bible, that he did not have one. We had no extras. I told him we did not have any more. He then asked for mine. This was my "special" Bible, it had gone to the Holy Land with me, it had all my notes and underlining in it. I could not give it away. Then a voice came in my head that said "it is only paper" and I replied, "but it is my special Bible". The voice again said, "You have Me and you can get another Bible". I then gave the truck driver my Bible and he cried. Yes, I did get another Bible and I have more notes in it. I often wonder if that Bible is thrown up in the back of a truck somewhere and if the man ever read it. I pray it will be read or be useful to someone someday.

We moved into a different care group, and the management at the truck stop have closed out the room for devotional purposes. We were there for about four years and maybe something good came from that.

Today, I have had more swelling in hands and feet. I looked back at my notes and this is a side effect of this chemo. I really hope my hands and feet do not stay like this. Because of the stopping the chemo last month, I had not taken this many days of the pill chemo, so this is the longest I have been on it, so causing this side effect. Of course, all "rat poison" is caustic! I pray it does some good...I would sure hate to go through this for nothing! But My God will not let that happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment